Aug 23, 2012





Food overload and a sad goodbye to friends


It was our last full day before we were going on our summer cruises and we still had some chores to do and some more packing. We got up around 7.30 and put on another load of laundry while we were getting ready. When we were ready we put on the dryer and headed out to have breakfast.

Again we made our way over to Wolfgang Puck’s Express. But this time we had decided to share a breakfast and just order a side with it. We entered the restaurant and were greeted by Maritza again. So after we had placed our order, picked up our drinks and found a table she came over to chat a bit. She then went to bring out our order, the Crispy Cornflake French Toast, served with seasonal fruit and some syrup and a side of bacon. There were three large slices of French Toast and we were not able to finish that one order. The bacon was crisp and helped counteract the sweetness of the Cornflake toast. When we were nearly done, Maritza came over to chat with us some more, before we said our goodbyes and headed over to Goofy’s to spend some of our counter service credits. We picked up a few bags of candy to hand out as Fish Extender gifts and then had the idea of getting a cake pop for Maritza’s little boy. Once everything was paid for we headed back and handed Maritza her little gift and getting fun comments from the other servers. On our way back to the car we stopped at the Once Upon a Toy store to pick up a very soft Mickey for Angelina, who loves everything Mickey. Then we headed back to the car and offsite again to the Dollar Store as we still needed some bags and extra gifts for our Fish Extender. While driving to the nearest Dollar Store we went past a WalMart and stopped there as well. We didn’t buy much, just a few small bits and pieces and then went to the Dollar Store, where we found everything we needed. It was shocking to see that with all the shopping it had gotten past midday and we were hungry again. We still had counter service credits to spend, so we stopped at Downtown Disney and walked over to the Cookes of Dublin. Since the restaurant is pretty small we weren’t sure to find a seat inside, but we got lucky. We placed our order, then picked up our Diet Cokes and found a nice table along the wall. A little later our buzzer went off and Tom went to pick up our order. Tom had ordered the Georges Bank Hand Battered Atlantic Scallops, which were served with English chips. I had ordered the The Original One & One, Fish & Chips, which also came with English chips and freshly made tartar sauce. Both dishes were freshly made and very good and we took our time enjoying them. Once we were done we walked back to the pick up location and got our dessert, Soft Serve Vanilla and Chocolate Swirl. We took them outside and ate as fast as we could as the ice cream turned into soup quickly in the early afternoon heat. We strolled through the rest of Pleasure Island and then headed back to the car and finally our villa.

I did the rest of our laundry and packed up our most of our stuff, while Tom took another dip in the Jacuzzi. Time seemed to just fly by and it was time again to go out and have another meal. This time our meal was at the Yacht Club Resort, at the Yachtsman Steakhouse. We arrived a litte ahead of time and had a peek into the store, before walking over to the restaurant and signing in. There was quite a line and it took some time to sign in and everyone was told that there would be at least a 20 minute wait. We were told that we were welcome to wait in the Crew Cup Lounge. Since there was ample seating we walked in and decided on having a drink before our meal.

We had just placed our order when our beeper went off. Tom’s Budweiser wasn’t a big problem, but they still had to prepare my Pineapple Upside Down Martini, Skyy Infused Pineapple Vodka, Frangelico, Pina Colada Mix and freshly squeezed lemon juice, topped with whipped cream. We waited at the bar until the drinks were ready, paid the bill and headed over to the check in desk. A host was already waiting and took us over to our table. We sat and enjoyed our drinks, looking through the menu and it took a while until our server showed up. He was fun, but he was slow, and I mean really slow moving. Once he had greeted us and gone through his spiel he asked for our order.

As always there were two Diet Cokes to quench the thirst and I ordered a Lobster Bisque, Maine Lobster, Herbs de Provence biscotti, and roe Chantilly. Our server disappeared for some time and when he returned he brought a basket full of Onion Pull aparts and dinner rolls, some Butter with Sea salt and Roasted Garlic to spread on them and my soup. The bisque was wonderful, light with a lot of good junks of lobster in it. Tom tried the Onion rolls and they were wonderful. Once I was done with my soup I tried one of the Onion rolls as well and they were heavenly and the garlic and butter added some great flavour to them. While we were still waiting for our main courses we had gotten a text from our friends Elaine and Howie that they had returned to Bay Lake Tower and were waiting for us to come over. So, the long absence of the server seemed even longer, knowing they were waiting for us. Finally our main course was served. Tom had opted for his favourite, the 28-oz Porterhouse served with herb fries and roasted garlic butter. He had also ordered a side of Truffle Mac & Cheese, Orecchiette Pasta and Reypenaer Cheese, for us to share. My main course was the 8-oz Center Cut Filet Mignon served with Mashed Potatoes and Cabernet Wine Sauce. Both were delicious and we loved our meals and worked hard to finish them. It took quite a while for our server to pick up the dirty plates, refill the soft drinks and finally bringing out the dessert menus. Being on the Disney Dining Plan we knew we wanted to at least try a dessert.

So Tom ordered the Habanero-infused Flourless Chocolate Cake, Mango Compote and Lime Sorbet, which I had tried the year before and it still was as awesome as the year before. I had ordered the Crème Brûlée, Vanilla Custard, pineapple compote and a ginger snap tuille. It was just that, Crème Brulee, nothing special and I gave up halfway through it. We were finally ready to leave and were looking for our server to let him know we would like to have our bill. He was nowhere to be seen. We waited a little more, nervously checking our watches and no, he was nowhere to be seen.

It took a pretty long time until he finally appeared again after a short chat he agreed to get the bill ready. Again it took a long time for him to come around again with the bill, then he needed to process the DDP and our Tables in Wonderland and after quite some time we finally were off. We headed back out to our car and soon we were on our way to Bay Lake Tower. About 15 minutes later and right in time for the fireworks we arrived at the hotel. We needed to show our member cards to be able to go up to the lounge and a few minutes later we were reunited with our friends. We all waited for the fireworks and watched them from the deck outside the lounge.

Once they were over, we walked back to the lounge, found a nice table and we all ordered some drinks. Tom and I had Diet Cokes, but we managed to talk Elaine into trying the Pineapple Upside Down Martini, Skyy Infused Pineapple Vodka, Frangelico, Pina Colada Mix and freshly squeezed lemon juice, topped with whipped cream. We spent quite some time in the lounge, chatting away and enjoying the time together. It was pretty late when we finally said goodbye, hoping to see each other again once we returned from our cruise.

Finally back at the car we decided to take the top down and enjoy our drive home. Back at Old Key West I finished packing and a little after midnight we finally went to bed.